Online Safety at Christmas
Christmas is often a time for new technology so here are some things to consider before gifting:
· Set up and play with the device before wrapping it. Exploring safety settings and reporting tools yourself means that you will know how to help your child if needed.
· Ensure filtering is applied to your home wi-fi. Remember no filter is ever 100% effective so ensure your child knows what to do if they see something worrying.
· Discuss your expectations around daily screentime, where the device is kept at night, approving friend requests and downloading apps.
· Give practical safety tips such as how to block and report on each service they are using.
· Keep talking about life online.
· For more information and advice regarding individual apps and games please visit the UK Safer Internet Centre, where you can find online safety tips, advice and resources to help children and young people stay safe online.https://saferinternet.org.uk/